Re: stock?

To: "James Rogerson" <jwalter@ptra.com>, <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stock?
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:00:24 -0500
>A major item in stock that isn't remotely stock is the use of crash bolts.
Some manufacturers have a specification for replacement to cars THAT HAVE
BEEN WRECKED to enable them to be brought back into tolerance.  Personally,
I think that if I were to compete against someone that had an unwrecked car
equipped with crash bolts that I should be able to run into it with my '52
Studebaker tow truck and help them be in complete compliance.  I doubt that
my truck will show more than a slight paint scrape. ;^)

Well, give me the keys to your truck before you bring it anywhere
near my car.  Toyota specifies the use of 'crash bolts' on the MR2
in order to bring the alignment to compliance whether the car has
been in a crash or not.  The camber on 93 and later cars is not
adjustable without replacing parts, and the TSB allowed the manufacturer
to get around a costly repair by using thinner shanked bolts.

Just because they have 'crash' in their name does not mean that
they are only for use after a crash.  My 93 MR2 was delivered with
out of spec camber in the rear....right off the boat.   That has been
fixed with 'crash bolts' and I don't feel it should put my car in the cross
hairs of your Stude.

David Hawkins
93 Mr2 Turbo w/6 'crash bolts'
86 Mr2 with custom camber adjusters

P.S.  But I run in Mod and SP...so it really doesn't matter to me  :P