Re: stock, shocks, sways, ad nauseum?

To: jemitchell@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: stock, shocks, sways, ad nauseum?
From: jon e prevo <tcbracer@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:46:22 -0500
First, Jay, go back and reread my original post.  You will find me
sitting squarely on the fence on this issue, something that hasn't
changed.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:07:39 -0500 "Jay Mitchell"
<jemitchell@compuserve.com> writes:
> Ever ask Gerry Terranova just how much he's done to his Civic? It
> ain't a whole lot. "Extent of the rules" in Stock for a Civic is
> NOT very costly.

I agree and completely see your point.  I know where Gerry's car stands
as far as prep, that is one reason I am looking at several Civics...

> As long as you try to convince yourself that it's cash and not
> skill (in both car setup and driving) that makes the difference,
> you'll never play "with the big boys," even if your rich uncle
> leaves you a couple million and the will requires that you
> squander it on an autox car.  ;<)

LOL!  That is absolutely NOT my belief!  Yes, there are lots of others
out there who do think that money is speed and once again I agree with
you that is not true.  However, with each allowable modification added,
money slowly starts becoming speed.

> I'm not sure I see your point. Is this a problem you feel is
> caused by the Solo II rules?

Again, read my original post.  I don't see a problem, but others do and I
can see why.  Just trying to be fair to everyone's opinion.

> And, regardless of the cost, there are always some folks who
> don't have the money. I agree that it's not fair. I do not agree
> that it can be made fair.

I will concede that point.  _I_ certainly have no idea how to make it
fairer.  You obviously have a very emotional position here.  I though
that by speaking up in support of both sides of the issue you might see
that it isn't such a volitile issue in itself.  My intention with the
original post was to say to those with whom _you_ were arguing,"Hey, I
see your point, but don't slam SCAC because of your inability to compete,
for whatever reason."  It ain't a perfect system (agree?), but it is the
one we have and it works "okay", I guess.

Jay, you drive _my_ dream car.  I have trouble seeing you playing
stickball in the street for lack of a place to play or the right
equipment.  I am having trouble understanding why this is such an
emotional issue for you.  And you know me well enough to know that I am
there to drive a little better than last week.  My personal yardstick
doesn't have Peter Fehn or Tom Holt on it.  Only me.

Jon FP 73