slicks vs DOT R tires....traction, wear, cost, etc

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: slicks vs DOT R tires....traction, wear, cost, etc
From: MattGent@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 17:31:46 EDT
I'm building a street car that will end up being classed in EMOD.  I was
thinking about which autocross tires to buy for it (maybe RA1s for the street
too?) when I thought about full slicks.  If I'm going to be changing tires
anyways, might as well use what I can.

Size is about 275-15 rear and 225-15 front.

While I've used almost all of the available R tires, I have absolutely no
clue about racing slicks.  How will they fare for weekend autocrossing and
the occasional lapping day compared to a Kumho or Toyo RA-1?  What about a
set of rains?

Thanks
Matt