Re: Here's a novel idea, do both! (was Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on sc

To: tag@cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Here's a novel idea, do both! (was Re: Buying a win?? Spend it on school.)
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 03:14:50 EDT
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:31:07 -0600
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>

>> I've always found it amusing that there are the "car wins the event" vs
>>"driver wins the event" camps.

>>Personally, I'll stick in the "prep the car *AND* the driver" (to the
>>best of my ability) camp.

>>They aren't mutually exclusive tasks,

I agree, and have done SOME prep to my car, but not until I ran several
events in ti to see where it was lacking, and using my GEEZ to point out
where I was lacking also. I found I was cornering slower than other drivers
while scoring 99% usage. Hmmm. The car was at its limit, but the limit was
low due to too much push. I put in the camber bolts and closed the gap a few
tenths. Added the Koni Shocks and dropped a couple more tenths, but I had to
score 99's on GEEZ for the changes to make a difference. My wife who is
driving very well did not improve near as much with the car changes. When the
right front Koni went away, it hurt me bad, but she ended up as good or even
higher on the overall standings, in fact she had the closest interval to me
EVER at just 3/10's back. For her the car felt about the same since she was
not at the limit, I went over the limit due to the altered balance with the
blow shock. It cost me about 8/10s when I slowed down to keep the car
straight. That pts my points back where they were when the strut was fine.
But my wife was still actually closer than she had been, so she has improved.
For the average driver, the driver improvement was still better than a blown
out strut!!

I still have stock exhaust, sway bar, and brakes. The K&N filter did not make
any difference in power, but it will last 1,000,000 miles, do I need to put
the stock filter back in and replace it every 10,000??

Gary M.