Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Heat cycle for the DOT Race tires, needed or not?
From: Scott Anderson <noleanimal@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 05:28:03 -0700 (PDT)
or maybe we just don't realize (blinded by our love
for motorsports) that this sector of the market isn't
THAT big of a deal to these tire companies. To
TireRack it is, simply because the put themselves in a
position to make it a big sector of their business. I
would tend to think that the tire manufacturers just
don't think it'll make them enough money to add a
whole other process to manufacturing their tires. I'm
sure TireRack isn't exactly making a killing off of it
either. But of couse they don't have entire factories
and processes to re-engineer to offer a service as
such. Notice TireRack only does them by special order.
For a major tire company to add such a process, they
would either have to automatically set aside a
predetermined amount to heat cycle, or do them by
special order. As an individual, have you ever tried
to special order something from the factory of a big
company like that? Usually- unless your a big time
customer, they're not going to do it. Then, if they
set aside a certain number to heat cycle, and they
don't sell- well they're out the cost of the process.
And then in turns into a risk vs. reward type thing,
and even the TireRack isn't going out on that limb. So
obviously it's not a "honeypot" or anything. It seems
that TireRack offers this service because it really
improves the performance of the tire, and they charge
you enough to cover their costs and make a small
profit on the side. If the tire companies were going
to do anything along these lines, then they would (and
maybe should) change the manufacturing process to make
a tire with more aligned, stronger bonds initially.
Then you would see a much lower return in the
heat-cycling process. But maybe they just haven't
thought of that either... :-)

Scott "should run his own tire company" Anderson
(G-Stock Eclipse GT #22)
Kinnebrew Motors Racing
Dixie Region SCCA

http://invites.yahoo.com/