Re: 225s under Neon rear

Subject: Re: 225s under Neon rear
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:46:08 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:
> Anyway, next year I plan to run STS in SCCA events and want to run 15x7"
> wheels and 225/50-15 tires (most likely Yoko AVSIs) on all 4 corners so I
> can rotate them to keep the wear somewhat even.  But there's a catch.  Stock
> class Neon racers know all too well that 225 width R tires rub on the Neon's
> rear lateral arms when mounted on factory sized and offset wheels.
>
> So my question to all those with more knowledge than me is this:  What
> offset would I need on 15x7" wheels (most likely the Kosei Racing K1s from
> the Tirerack) in order to be able to run the 225/50-15 tires on the back end
> of my Neon without having them rub on the lateral arms and/or stick out past
> the fender lip and violate the sacred SCCA rules?  Spacers perhaps??

It shouldn't be too hard... I ran the 225's on the back a couple times
(and Daddio experimented with it for a while).  For me, that was with
AR24's shaved to 34mm offset.  It _just barely_ rubbed the trailing arm
thingy.

For 225's on AR24's, I'd say you'd want 25 to 30mm offset to clear the
inside (not sure on the outside).  Since the wheels you're buying are 7"
wide vs. 6", you'd need to convert the 30mm to the backspace (distance of
hub face to inside of wheel), then get that same backspace on the K1s.

Or just call Ross Atwell and copy his setup.  :-)

Mark