Re: Kit cars in Prepared

To: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>,
Subject: Re: Kit cars in Prepared
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:49:26 -0500
Colbert, Raymond J. wrote:

> I bet you could not get an emissions ilegal engine in a car but
I bet you
> could order the engine and slime it in your self with out any
one else being
> the wiser.

Instead of providing anything resembling real information, you're
reduced to "betting." And your bet doesn't support your position.
Even IF you're correct, you've failed to distinguish between a
Lotus and a BMW (or a Mercedes or a Peugeot). If you could do
this with a Lotus, you just as easily could do it with any car
made overseas in which a non-US version had a different engine
from the Federal one. AND such a car wouldn't be legal in Stock
or Street Prepared anyway.

Ever hear of the "gray market?" I've personally seen two BMW
323is of early '80s vintage and one Alpina 2002 brought to Solo
II events and entered in Stock, even though those cars were never
legally sold in this country. Do you really believe this practice
only involved British cars?

Nothing you've said has supported your assertion that certain
cars should be prejudicially excluded from Solo II competition.
If you actually have facts and supporting evidence, it would be a
refreshing change for you to offer same. Otherwise, you have only
uninformed speculation.

Jay