RE: Kit cars in Prepared

To: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>,
Subject: RE: Kit cars in Prepared
From: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:02:41 -0400
The diference is that there may not relly be a difference.  If you want to
put a cheater engine in any thing it is damn hard to detect.How do you
really know the engines in all the "stock" Neons are stock?  You simply must
trust all the people. We do trust our competitors until they tell us
differently.

I have seen lots of gray market cars and lots of questionably stock cars.
Grey Market cars or any cars fitted with proper running gear for the street
need to be classed away from the pure race vehicle (no lights, carpet, dash,
interior, windows, top, fenders, license, state inspection, exhaust,
alternate un-streetable engine etc.).

This is not uninformed speculation.  I have autocrossed for 28 years and
been a tech inspector for the past 15.  We get about 3 Grey market cars a
year in our local club events, not to mention the countless engine swaps
etc.  They always end up at the top of the class list (mod) and they usually
do not compete well even in our hard tire stock class (where they do not
belong).

They might do better in prepared after some experience and we would get more
customers coming back.

Ray Colbert
Steel Cities Region
Oakmont (Pittsburgh) PA