Vees for sale... An OPINION as to WHY they don't (To the SEB)

To: "'Jeff Yatsko'" <jasyatz@home.com>
Subject: Vees for sale... An OPINION as to WHY they don't (To the SEB)
From: "McClure, Rick CHAS" <RWMcClure@corp.olin.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:14:39 -0500
Jeff, I really wish you all the best in selling your Vee.  I had trouble for
a LONG time.  My car was fast, the fastest in the SEDiv and always did well
at NT events, and it was a Great looking Vee.  I started out asking about
what you are - but had no interest.  I dropped the price to $4700, then to
$3500.  At this point it generated some interest, but still no cash.  I sold
it, with LOTS of spare part and trailer for $3000.  The car was worth MUCH
more!  This e-mail explain why - at least IMHO.

So, to stir the water one more time (are you listening SEB?)...

IMHO, the reason why Solo Vees don't sell for ANYTHING near what it cost to
make them "Somewhat" competitive in FM is the long-standing disparity
between the F5 and Solo Vee.  In other words, few people want the "loosing
car" in a two-car class.

Currently only Scott Nardin's Vee has shown much potential in winning the FM
National Championship, but the guys in the South Bend Region continue their
efforts.  The Solo Vee Owners Association has also taken some courageous and
positive step toward Solo Vee growth, but they can't do it alone.  They need
assistance from the SEB, other SV owners, and interested SCCA members.

But the REAL question is "Why won't SCCA do more"?  They certainly could.
Why is the FM Championship so precious that the SEB is reluctant to make a
few simple concessions to the Vee?  Afraid a Solo Vee may win?  What would
be the harm?  Simple changes in FM have been proposed, e.g.: better heads
for the Vees, narrower front tires for the F5s.  But so far, the SEB doesn't
even RECOGNIZE the disparity.  Why?  Until this question is adequately
addressed by the SEB with REAL rule changes - not just more rhetoric - then
SCCA members will continue their reluctance to invest money converting a FV
to SV just to be uncompetitive in FM.  It is not a sound financial decision
- just buy an F5.  Is this REALLY what the SCCA wants?

I'm sure this will generate a lot of flaming e-mail - but "the truth is out
there..."  Can you see it?

Rick McClure
A FORMER Solo Vee Owner