Re: 3rd gear/Miata/NEDivs

To: rjohnson@friendlynet.com
Subject: Re: 3rd gear/Miata/NEDivs
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:29:33 -0400
rjohnson@friendlynet.com wrote:
>   In any case, the Peru event was enough in excess of Rules
> 1.3 and 2.1.A to be a concern.  It sounds like other events are
> also?  (But we must discount competitor reports of calculated or
> observed
> speeds, as they are often exaggerated.  An F/M driver at the
> BFG Event in Oscoda last year reported 100+ mph at the finish line.
> Radar gun had him at 63. . . . . . .)

Ask a mod car driver in a car with gears, and in a class that allows
open gearing.  I can usually tell you how fast I was going within 5 mph
or so, without even looking at the Geez! data.

At NEDiv's, on Saturday in the dry, we were in the upper 70's entering
the fast slalom on the way back.  On Sunday, it may have been a little
faster, except that for us it was quite wet so we were still in the
70's entering the turnaround.  That's in a CM Formula Ford.

The Devens NT was similarly fast, mid to upper 70's top speed on both
courses.

I think both events were pushing the envelope in terms of the rulebook
and in terms of fairness, but weren't out of hand.

I'm sure there's someone who can offer similar authoritative data for
Peru.

Mark