New Miata

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: New Miata
From: "Tony Ford" <EGFord@mazakcorp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:36:27 -0400
So what is the consensus of the new Miata with more horsepower, 16" wheels, and
additional chassis bracing? It discourages me to have my car become obsolete
after owning it for a year and a half. Heck, I haven't even learned how to
really drive it well yet. A road racer once told me if I was going to race that
I should buy a proper race car and forget running a stock class car and all the
expense it entails making it raceworthy. I'm inclined to believe him now. Is it
any easier to run in a more rules-stable prepared or modified class? Or does it
just appear so to me? And monetarily, would I have been better off to have
gotten a decent dedicated race car (FM or CM?)? Although I'm not so sure that
would be a good place to start out. But then again, I'd have been slow as heck
in anything starting out. I really enjoy autocross and developing my skills as
a driver, but I'd like a shot at winning something someday without breaking the
bank. Any thoughts out there?

Anthony C. Ford
Mechanical Engineer
Mazak Corporation