Re: Tech inspection, what to do....

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>,
Subject: Re: Tech inspection, what to do....
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:31:32 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
To: Cliff Loh <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>; Autox List <Autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2000 11:50 PM

>>In any given autocross tech inspection, you usually look for "safe and
>>positive" throttle return.  Well that's fine for most cars but what
>>constitutes "safe and positive" for new car with fly-by-wire
>>throttles?
>

>Nothing.  Flunk the suckers, just like factory restraint systems which do
>not incorporate a lap belt.
>
>No, I'm kidding.  Don't flame me.
>
>Seriously, though, I have a hard time believing that fly-by-wire throttles
>are necessary, a real advance, or even a very good idea.

I'd much rather flunk a car for "restraint" systems that restrain nothing
until the collision has already begun to happen. Don'tcha hate
lowest-common-denominator safety systems that actually do not work for
people like us who consider a *proper* safety system an aid to good driving?

But <sigh> I suppose in the current climate, a car's stock belts must be
considered adequate even though for autocross they are as effective as a gun
loaded with blanks.

--Rocky