F1 at Indy .... Observation

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: F1 at Indy .... Observation
From: Lloyd.Wilson@Alcan.Com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:41:22 -0500 (CDT)
--Boundary_(ID_jN8UFpGqEjF4IaBobWctgg)

I went to the F1 race at Indy yesterday.  This was my first time ever seeing a
F1 car in person and many other firsts.  First time in the grand stands on the
home stretch.  We had sit backs, way cool.  First time I had to wear winter
gear to stay warm at Indy.  First time I could not understand some of the
fellow fans and not because I didn't understand their accent, some fans were
from Europe and Asia.  First time I worn ear plugs at an Indy race.  I would be
deaf for a week if I didn't where ear plugs.  Those cars are the best sounding,
loudest cars I ever heard.  First time I watched three races in one day at Indy
(Porsche Cup, Ferrari Challenge, F1).  Overall a great time.  Well worth the
most expensive ticket I have purchased for a race at Indy.

Our sits were Stand C, row JJ.  In normal talk that is, home stretch (close to
middle), outside and 10 rows from the top but under cover of the upper deck.  I
could start seeing the cars from the short shoot between turns 2 and 1, all of
turn 1, down the home stretch and through turns 1,2,3,4.  Another first for
watching cars race 'backwards' (clockwise) around Indy.  I think the seats are
great, especially with the bad weather.  Fortunately for Mother Nature did not
let it rain while any of the races were running.  We even had a 'jumbo' TV we
could see across from us on the inside stands.  This was not the really big 15+
ft. screens but one that was probably 5 ft.  That way we could still see the
whole race.

The Porsche Cup race was fun and I even recognized one of the drivers as an
ex-autoxer.  Randy Probst.  My only connection to Randy is he kicked my butt in
my first Pro Solo Challenge at Jacksonville '94.  Since I was like a kid in a
candy store, I don't remember how he finished.  I was having way too much fun
being there.  The next race was the Ferrari Challenge which you could tell
these guys were mostly racing under gentleman's rules.  Only one of two
actually hit each other and that could be blamed on a wet and 'green' course.
None of the typical NASCAR rubbing going on during this race.

The F1 race was fantastic even though Schumacher ran away with it.  There was a
little of excitement when Schumacher spun near the end of the race but at one
time he had almost a 60 second lead.  He ended up winning by almost 30
seconds.  The most memorable thing from the race was those cars at full 'song'
ripping down the home stretch and nailing the brakes to get through turn #1.
The engine sounds were like music, awesome.  The braking into turn #1 were
amazing, I would guess there are pulling somewhere around 3+g's under braking.

Due to the weather, low 50's, 15 mph constant wind, wet and occasionally
raining, the drivers were 'dirt' tracking around some of the turns.  There was
one really cool in-car view of Schumacher going through a turn but turning the
wheel from opposite lock to opposite lock.  He did save it that time.

Well, I just thought some of you would like to know someone's first hand
experience at America's first Indy in nine years and hopefully will be a long
tradition.

Lloyd Wilson
Been to Indy for CART/IRL since 1987, Brickyard since 1995 and F1 since 2000

--Boundary_(ID_jN8UFpGqEjF4IaBobWctgg)--