Dollars per minute?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Dollars per minute?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 00:24:19 -0600 (MDT)
One of the gripes often heard about autocross is that the seat time per event
is fairly low, and for events of a national caliber, costs can be fairly high,
where 'high' is defined by the entrant.  For sure, going to Nationals for the
opportunity to spend $XXXX for 5 or 6 total minutes of seat time can appear as
a pretty odd expense to those who don't understand.

So this weekend I'm laying about the house, sidelined by a bit of flu, when I
have a zillion projects that need to be done.  Clicking through the channels
I watch a bit of the Kentucky Derby.

How many dollars are spent during the year that can be attributed to the Derby?
I mean entry fees, spectator tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, dining at the
local restuarants, gift shops, airline tickets, bourbon, car rentals, special
outfits, TV production, the costs of breeding, training, transporting the
horses, jockey salaries, not to mention the wagers laid down.  All for roughly
two minutes of competition by a dozen or two horses.

Is there any way that autocrossing could even come within several orders of
magnitude of this expense?

mjb.