Re: From the BMW Club Racing List --- Stolen Race Car

To: NER <ner@ner.org>, NER Solo postings <nersolo@ner.org>,
Subject: Re: From the BMW Club Racing List --- Stolen Race Car
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:37:30 -0400
This is one of those times that I posted something of this nature that
wasn't necessary.

Wasted bandwidth for sure, but great to post it was found.

Matt Murray

mattm@optonline.net

Posted by Tino Saloomen on May 11, 2001 at 04:07:43:
(posted from: we-24-30-124-167.we.mediaone.net (24.30.124.167))
Hello Everyone,
I know it's late but I just got a phone calll from the SDPD notifying me
that the car has been recovered and is in a tow yard in San Diego. I haven't
seen the car yet but will update you with my findings as I get them. The
officer that called said the car looked fine except for it looked like it
was stripped... (LOL!!!, I did that!!!). The car is going to be shipped back
(Compliments of AAA ) tomorrow to Los Angeles.

All I know is that the car was indeed placed on a flatbed tow truck and was
on it's way to Mexico. The story I got was that the theives were stopped by
the Border Patrol near the US Customs crossing while attempting to drive the
tow truck with my car on it into Mexico. Since my car didn't have any plates
on it, the Officer asked them for some sort of registration. Since they
couldn't provide the paperwork, the VIN was run. The car came up as stolen
and the driver and passengers (3 total) were arrested and are in custody.

The reason why my car didn't have plates was simply because I had a little
custom plate made for it which read "If you can read this, I'm having a bad
day!". I thought this was the dumbest thing I could have done (removing the
California Plate that is..) but it turned out to save my car! Go figure...

Thanks to everyone for their support during this hard time for me. Words
cannot express how touched I was by everyones friendship and support. All I
can say is that I am truely thankful I have such great friends. The tons of
emails and phone calls that I receieved were incredible. Each one contained
encouraging words which helped me get through this tough time. I can
honestly say that I nearly fainted when I looked into an empty trailer in
the morning... Ever been sucker punched in the gut?? Please don't let this
happen to you. Take all the neccesary precautions to protect your investment
NOW. I'm thinking LoJack isn't a bad idea!

Thank you again for helping me get the word out and for your honest concern.

Tino Saloomen