Re: Tow Truck Question

To: <autojim@worldnet.att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Truck Question
From: Jim Wilson <jim@jamesdwilson.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:13:07 -0400
You should also consider the fact that there may be more than one problem.
Most of the possibilities have been covered in previous emails but dont fall
into the trap of thinking that just because you fixed one thing and the
problem did not go away that it was not contributing to your poor gas
mileage. Most the things that have been mentioned - just as replacing
spark plugs, O2 sensor, etc could be contributing. Since they are relatively
low cost items if you have been doing a lot of towing with the truck it might
be a good time to replace them anyway. You should also look at things such
as how the wheel bearings are adjusted (if they are loose if might contribute),
transmission, water pump (bearings seizing?) , brakes dragging, etc. Also
has the load you have been towing changed recently?. I used to work in a
dealer and one of the traps the mechanics would fall into was thinking just
because they replaced on bad part that they had gotten the problem. These
were the types of cases where the car would come back two weeks later
with a really irate customer because he thought the problem had been
taken care of. You should bear this in mind when trying to track down this
problem, if you have replaced the spark plugs and the problem still exists
dont replace them again - move onto something else. It might cost you more
money but at 3-4 miles to the gallon the cost of most of the parts is not
going to add up too badly if you compare it to the gas you are wasting.
Especially not at the prices now.

Good luck