Bamboo

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Bamboo
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:03:16 -0400
I'll apologize in advance for the bandwidth used, but I have a problem that
maybe someone on Team.Net can help me with.

How do  you eradicate bamboo? Not control it. I'm talking separating its DNA
into individual components and incinerating them in the sun eradication.

The autocross justification here is that the bamboo is attempting to take
over my driveway, where I park and work on my autocross car. So if I can't
kill it I could loose my driveway. No way!

My neighbors wife (now deceased) planted a shoot of it years ago, but was
very diligent about keeping her gardens under control. After she died her
husband couldn't do yard work and the stuff has taken off like a rocket.

It now covers an area almost 20 feet square and constantly tries to spread
out onto my driveway and everywhere else.

Nothing will eat the stuff. Even the deer who will eat almost anything
green. Pittsburgh has a dearth of Pandas, wild or zoo based, so that isn't
any help.

Four weeks ago, I hit the entire area with Vegetation killer just as the
bamboo started to sprout. It did a job on the stuff. The existing greenery
withered. In less than a week,  it was shooting up new stalks. Due to rain
etc. I haven't been able to hit it with the chemicals agin. So, when I cut
it down today some of it was over 6 feet tall.

How do you permanently eradicate the stuff? Anybody know?

I don't want to start a bamboo thread here, so please respond privately.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Steckel