Re: SCCA HQ

To: 73110.574@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: SCCA HQ
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:24:12 EDT
Karen,

I couldn't help but be slightly amused by your recent posts regarding a
possible move of the SCCA HQ to the SEDiv.  Afterall, discussion of factless
SCCA conspiracies is typical fare for Team.net.  The real surprise to me is
the author proposing this one.

The idea that many corporations consider moving to the Southeastern US for
reasons like weather, economics, personnel resources, etc. can surely play no
part in such a decision, could it?  Have you ever been to Birmingham, AL?
It's probably one of the nicest cities in the SE.  I'm seriously considering
moving there myself.  Does that mean I'm biased?  The answer is: No!

Like Mark Chiles, I too could care less where the SCCA HQ is located, but I
know of many positive reasons why any corporation would want to relocate in
Birmingham, and very few negative ones.  However, just to show my
impartiality, one negative that would be worthy of further investigation is
Alabama's corporate tax structure; notably one of most complex and mystifying
boondoggles of any state in the nation.  Aside from that I can understand the
consideration of such a move.

Except for the rare tornado and peak summer humidity, the weather is pretty
decent year-round and it's a scenic area.  It's beautiful there now with the
semi-mountaneous wooded landscape of peaks and valleys lush with green
vegetation.  The infrastructure is very good; highways, city services,
quality housing, etc.  One of the surprising aspects of Birmingham is that it
has many quality of life aspects you'd expect of a much larger or smaller
city without the trappings of either; i.e. it's not overly crowded, it's
affordable, it's family-oriented, quality housing, nice restaurants &
shopping, many cultural & social activities, .... I could continue on.

The point is this.  I can understand that you are opposed to the SCCA HQ
moving from Denver for reasons you believe are sound, but don't get hung up
where they're considering moving to.  Moving a corporation such as the SCCA
is no minor undertaking.  Any corporation considering such a move has a
strong motivation based on a variety of factors, some of which might not be
readily apparent to people on the outside looking in.  If the SCCA is
considering moving from Denver, there are probably some very sound reasons
for wanting to do so.  Rather than trying to get people on the outside to
respond with a factless, knee jerk reaction, wouldn't it be better to begin
asking probing questions of people on the inside to better understand what
the motivation is to be considering a move?

Mark Sipe
SEDiv Solo2 Steward