Re: WAS and you think the SCCA has classing problems...?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WAS and you think the SCCA has classing problems...?
From: "Craig Straub" <straubc@apci.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:24:02 -0500
And you think the SCCA has classing problems...?

> First, no DOT tire is as sticky as a slick.  Otherwise you would see CSP
> Hondas running the same times as EP Hondas.

First you said DOT tire.  I refered to the "R" ratred tires.  Of course a
standard DOT tire is not as sticky as a slick.
Secondly, I have seen one GS Integra on "R" rated tires run as fast as EP
Hondas.  The big problem with the PAX index is supposedly is based on a
variety of events.  However in my years of solo and reviewing results it
appears that the PAX index is based mainly on the National event or events
based on concrete.  Those courses that are fairly short courses
approximately 40 seconds or shorter and on asphalt tend to hinder the times
of  prepared and modified cars.  Also there is the RTP index but then it is
not that much different than the PAX.

> As far as the GTI and the Civic SI (these are the low powered versions,
not
> the 160hp car,) it's a good move.  We are the SPORTS Car Club of America,
> not the SLUG Car Club of America.  And last time I looked, you could buy a
> first gen GTI, first gen Civic Si, or first gen Acura Integra in good
shape
> for less than $3K.  If that doesn't qualify as cheap speed, I don't know
> what does.

Let's not get into the argument what is a "sports car".  The lower stock
classes are lets say basically entry level classes and were more so many
years ago.  I agree that yes you can purchase older GTI's, Civic Si's, for
around $3,000 or less.  However, if you are less than 21 years of age your
insurance is going to be more than the $3,000 for that car and that is just
for liablility.  Any car with letters such as GT, GTI, Si, after the model
name makes insurance is a killer for teenagers.

SCCA does need an entry level class for the econo-boxes without the higher
performance of the VW GTI's and GT, Honda Civic Si's, etc.......

If econo-boxes make the SPORTS CAR CLUB of AMERICA the SLUG CAR CLUB OF
AMERICA then maybe instead of having all the classes we have in Solo II
maybe we should just have 4 classes and forget about classing for tires.
How about the following classes:

Production Cars - anything made running street "DOT", "or "R" rated
compounds
Super Production Cars - anything goes running street "DOT"  or "R" rated
compounds
MP Production cars - Would be all Prepared Class and D & E Modified cars
Formula - any single seat (one person) Would be all A Mod, B Mod, C Mod and
F Mod cars.

I am not in favor of going to such a classing system but such a classing
system may be a hinderance to the club, but then it may weed out the SLUG
cars.

Bye for now.

Craig