Re: WAS and you think the SCCA has classing problems...?

To: "Craig Straub" <straubc@apci.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WAS and you think the SCCA has classing problems...?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:54:36 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Straub <straubc@apci.net>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 10:27 PM

>And you think the SCCA has classing problems...?
>> First, no DOT tire is as sticky as a slick.  Otherwise you would see CSP
>> Hondas running the same times as EP Hondas.
>First you said DOT tire.  I refered to the "R" ratred tires.  Of course a
>standard DOT tire is not as sticky as a slick.

Sam ting.  At least in this case.  What we autocrossers call generically
"R-tires" are all DOT-approved tires.

So when Paul said "no DOT tire is as sticky as a slick", it means the same
as no R-rated DOT tire is as sticky as a slick.

>Secondly, I have seen one GS Integra on "R" rated tires run as fast as EP
>Hondas.

See my previous message about Paul's bad choice of analogies.

>SCCA does need an entry level class for the econo-boxes without the higher
>performance of the VW GTI's and GT, Honda Civic Si's, etc.......

A fully agree.  Regardless of how many classes there are, one of them should
be for truly slow cars.