Re: Saftey Belt

To: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Subject: Re: Saftey Belt
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:57:57 -0500
Without naming names, Eric, I think I can clear this up for you -
since "I" was the guy who had to write up the incident report on it.
It happened at a 2000 SOWDIV Divisional in Mineral Wells, Texas,
during the Saturday night "hospitality" party.

MOST of the competitors were gathered under a huge tent to escape the
scorching (103-degree) Texas heat and to eat Solo dogs and watermelon.
      But, while we were there, a small handful of competitors were
playing around at the very rear of the paddock - taking turns riding a
fellow competitor's motorized bar stool.  They were well out of my
vision and hearing, so I didn't have the foggiest idea what was going
on until the rider in question wiped out and somebody came running to
get me.

This wasn't the turbo-charged, Honda-powered variety that somebody
else emailed a link to - it was just a bread-and-butter Briggs &
Stratton-powered version.  But it was equally top-heavy with a rider
on board.  And, the faster you went, the squirrelier it got.  The
rider who was hurt was, apparently, pretty-well cookin' when he got
into some rough pavement and went t*ts over toenails into the asphalt.
  He was treated at the site and then in the local emergency room but
he was NOT admitted to the hospital.  He was back at the event Sunday
morning and competed - though rather painfully - in a prepared car.

Now, with all of that said to clear the air about the incident, I
think you could boil it all down to a case of horseplay-gone-bad.  (As
it usually does!!)  I, for one, think that this is the type of vehicle
that we just don't need at ANY of our autox events - anywhere on the
site.  But, it's up to the event Solo Safety Steward to determine
whether a vehicle - motorized or not - is suitable for use at that
event.  It also brings home the point that those of us who wear the
neon lime green hats need to be aware of everything that's going on
all the time - even when there aren't cars on the course.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman
   Safety Belt Editor
Member, National Solo Safety Committee