RE: Tire Warming

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire Warming
From: bfuhrman@isd.net
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:56:02 GMT
>I think its legal? Heres what section 6.11 says.
>
>I say, at the VERY LEAST it's illegal as being outside the spirit of the
>rules.

>6.11 Preheating tires
>
>Pre-heating of tires prior to competition by electrically heated
>covers or similiar means is prohibited.
>
>I guess it comes down to what "similar" means to you??? Pretty vague
>if you ask me.

I think that the request (using the engine exhaust to heat tires under a cover
is "similar" in anyone's dictionary except for Mr. Clinton's.

Trying to write a rule like that without any word that people could "claim"
to not understand would either start to read like a home purchase agreement
or end up with so many loopholes that it would be useless.

If you are using a heat source and some sort of extra container to hold the
heat around the tire, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes in front of any
protest
committee of reasonable inteligence.