RE: integra clutch problems

To: "'Jester097@aol.com'" <Jester097@aol.com>
Subject: RE: integra clutch problems
From: "Gill, Doug" <dgill@stcc.cc.tn.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:55:13 -0500
>Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:52:32 EDT
>From: Jester097@aol.com
>
>I have a friend who's got an integra GSR that we're trying to diagnose a
>clutch problem.  The clutch wont fully disengage from the flywheel (the
>drivetrain is intact, has not been dissasembled yet).  The clutch pedal
seems
>pretty soft, and when you put it in gear the car will move when you start
it.
> The problem arised at a track day, and shifting gears is a chore since the

>clutch wont disengage.  I think its an adjustment or hydraulic issue and i
>will be looking at it tomorrow.  The dealer said the problem is broken
>springs on the sprung center on the hub of the clutch disc.  But if that
were
>the case, wouldnt that render the car undriveable?  It is still driveable,
>however it has stayed parked since this problem came up.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks!
>
>- -Ryan

Yeah, I've got an idea. The symptom is called a dragging clutch. A broken
pressure plate diagraphm spring is one cause. Hadn't seen one in years, but
the spring can break and when you press the clutch pedal the fingers can't
pull the plate away from the disc evenly or completely. Also, the pedal is
mushy because the spring is broken. So the disc is never totally released.

Another cause of a dragging clutch is air in the hydraulics, just as you
suspected. I'm not familiar with the GSR, but most hydraulic clutches have
no adjustment and if they do it's primarily for an initial setting when
repairs are made; like disc brakes, they are usually self-adjusting. And
also like brakes, the pedal would be "low" and could probably be pumped up.

Again, a different cause of a similar symptom is the disc is not able to
"slide" on the transaxle input shaft splines away from the flywheel. It
doesn't have to slide much, but it does have to move away from the flywheel.
When replacing a disc the splines should be checked with the new disc for
smoothness (and also for correct fit :) ) and lightly oiled (not greased). I
don't suspect this because it must have happened without much warning.

If a spring or two came out of the center of the disc, it would also cause
clutch dragging, but it would change as the springs move around and
sometimes it would have no clutch action because it would lodge between the
disc and the flywheel and/or pressure plate. Also the feel would not be a
lot different in the pedal.

Those are my ideas. First, check the hydraulics like you said. Of course
that is easiest. But if the hydraulics are OK, sounds like you're goning to
have to pull the trans. And from your description, I'm afraid you might have
to pull it. :(

Memphis Mumbles