Re: Chief of News/National Disaster Announcements

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chief of News/National Disaster Announcements
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:12:40 EDT
Jan writes:

   > It's easy to criticize, but those critics should volunteer now, since they

Matt Murray asked our opinions.  We gave them to him.  As an autocrosser, I
would rather not have heard the news when it was announced.  Other very valid
points have been brought up as to why it should have been announced when it
was on the North course.  Due to the course clean-up, Matt also had the
perfect opportunity to tell us the news.  Had I known someone at the Pentagon
or WTC, my opinion would have been considerably different, I'm sure.

As the third run group South course announcer, I chose not to announce it for
several reasons.  By the time I got there, I had no idea that it had not been
reported there.  Suddenly we were running a car every 15 seconds and there
was no real opportunity to give the news the time it would have required to
accurately report it.  Someone else has written that he was very upset that
we didn't announce it on the South course.  I apologize.

All the opinions that have been expressed are very valid, and it's a
judgement call with no "right answer."  Let it go.  And can the sarcasm, it
doesn't hellp.

Charlie Davis