Re: Wheel / Tire suggestion

To: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel / Tire suggestion
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:01:20 -0500
I want to clarify what Chris is saying and what I said, as they sound like
they are contradicting each other.  However, they don't.

Competition wise, street tires are less forgiving.  Meaning, if you make a
mistake in execution of your driving, it will cost you more time on street
tires.  Thus, making you less competitive.  The occasional drive on street
tires may help keep existing skills sharp.

However, as I said, when learning, street tires are more forgiving to
mistakes.  As an example, Chris mentioned roll overs.  A street tired car
entering a corner off a fast straight under hard braking if pushed to far
will most likely just understeer through the corner.  On a race tired car,
that outside front wheel could grab so well that the momentum from the turn
could roll the car right over.  This is extreme, but can happen.

-A.

Chris Said...
> You will learn much more about car control on street tires.  Street tires
> are LESS forgiving than race tires.  Go back and read that again.  Less
> forgiving.  So you have to develop better driving skills to compete with
> street tires.  Doing so will make you a better driver a year from now.

I Said....