RE: bearing question

To: "Gill, Doug" <dgill@stcc.cc.tn.us>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bearing question
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:46:51 -0600
Ding, ding, ding....Doug wins the prize.  I don't think I made it clear
enough that I hadn't installed the stub axle yet.  Turns out that the inner
and outer races *can* have a great deal of play until the stub axle nut is
tightened.  All my prior experience was that these things always felt
tight, and I erred on the side of caution.  I am going to put it on the
car, and then check free play.  According to Blaufergnugen (Jim Blau who is
a great Audi parts source....www.audiquattroparts.com) this is good to go.
Thanks gang!

> Wait a minute. Did you take the car to the dealer and have the dealer
> install the parts or did you just take the strut to the dealer. The strut
is
> not on the car? The hub won't be tight until you torque the CV joint nut
> down properly. Hey, Pat; go ahead and install it. But then check the axial
> free play. The two inner races are held together by the sub axle of the CV
> joint. Then it should be tight; this is why you shouldn't roll a typical
FWD
> car around without the axles in the hubs.
>
> Doug Gill
> ASE Certified Master Technician
> Audi Master Registered Technician (1987-1990) (I've done a couple of front
> wheel bearings) :)

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer