Re: battery question

To: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Subject: Re: battery question
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 23:44:40 -0800
On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 10:17 PM, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> Would those 20AH sealed lead acid batteries be able to survive a full
> race
> season in a street/weekend warrior car?  Would it be able to reliably
> start
> the car in cold conditions, not winter mind you, but early April and
> late
> October Midwest events?  How would it like being attached to a regular
> car
> alternator as a charging source?  I have to wonder since they were not
> specifically designed for automotive applications.  I think, at least
> for my
> application, that in order to get one of those Panasonic type batteries
> that's large enough to work well for a while that any weight savings
> would
> be lost versus a standard wet cell car or motorcycle battery.

If anyone is looking for a small weight-saving battery that can still
function in everyday use I'd recommend getting your hands on the OEM
Panasonic battery from a Miata. Unfortunately Mazda USA does not sell
that battery anymore so the only way to get one is out of a wrecked
Miata. Alternately a company called WestCo makes a nice replacement
Miata battery which costs  only $75 and is only marginally bigger.

One other nice thing about the Panasonic battery is that it is already
designed to be used in enclosed places (it's in the Miata's trunk) which
should make relocating it to the passenger compartment easier.

- Alan Dahl