RE: New GT40

To: AutoX@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New GT40
From: jeff@winchell.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:08:23 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 11 January 2002, "bruce haden" wrote

> Subject: Re: New GT40
>
> The new 4.6s are a different breed. Much better than the original.
> My biggest gripe about the whole "modular" engine group is the sheer
> size of the things. The displacement of a large V-6 with the outside
> dimensions of a Boss 429!! And they weigh something like 700lbs. Good
> idea not executed well.

The total dressed engine mass for a stock 98 DOHC 4.6L is 535 lbs. the SOHC
4.6L weighs 6
lbs less. The 3.8L OHV V6 weighs 375.5 lbs.

The DOHC 4.6L engine block, heads and intake are aluminum. Maybe you were
thinking of the
DOHC 5.4L Cobra R motor which is a cast iron block.

As for the exterior size of the 4.6L DOHC, I agree. In the engine compartment,
it's size
reminds me a lot of my old 428 (7L) Cobra Jet, though the 4.6L makes more power.