Re:Stock shock rules rewrite?

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com (Evolution Discussion),
Subject: Re:Stock shock rules rewrite?
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:02:26 EST
isn't it amazing how one little ember can smoulder and simmer away for days,
then POOF, major forest fire ... :-)

What happens when somebody claims your shocks and you don't have a spare set
to drive home on, and for no other reason than they need a new set of shocks
and you have them?

Now you have to have a second set of shocks along for the ride just in case
(or at least a $1000 or whatever claim fee figure just in case you need to
grab somebody elses shocks), you can't even tow a car without shocks.  That's
suppose to bring the cost down?  What if you have a shock sponsor who is
willing to take the loss of the shocks just so that somebody else ends up
running on their super-duper brand.  Example: I just happen to know that
driver X has a new set ABC shocks that I'd have to wait 6 weeks to get or an
OE set costs more than the claim fee, ah hell, here's my $1000 bucks now give
me my shocks.

The problem I have behind all these and other arguments is why isn't this
thinking being applied evenly across the board; .i.e tires, new cars, etc.
It's OK if you have to buy a $1000 set of new tires every event (I won't even
bring up the issue of free tire deals and appearance money ...errr, oops), or
you have to a $60,000 tow rig to haul around an unstreetable Stock class car,
or you have to have a new $50,000 car to be competitive, but if you want to
spend a one time several thousand dollar cost on shocks its "my god, we can't
have that, it's ruining the competition".  Yet at the same time these very
same people are oblivious to the fact that turnout and participation is at an
all time high.

You can circumnavigate the world on a sea of BS, but no matter how far you
sail you still can't escape the smell.  The reality is the most expensive
shocks often don't win, but everybody's so damn paranoid about it we've
resorted to running around like a bunch of chicken littles screaming "... the
sky is falling, the sky is falling ...".  If you ask me it's pretty damn
ridiculous to limit shock manufacturers and not tire manufacturers, auto
manufacturers, or anyone else that participates in this sport.  The argument
of fairness is also ridiculous; there will always be somebody else with more
money, more time, more skill, etc.; that's not fair, that's life.

Ok, the SEB wants to change the rules, then change the rules, but at least
take responsibility for the situation being as it is now, as it has been for
many years.  There needs to be a grandfathering period to account for the
fact that XYZ part and variance was legal and allowed.  IMO taking the FU
route against people operating within the allowed parameters created by the
very group that wants to change them would be grossly irresponsible.

Mark Sipe