Some thoughts on the shock challenge...

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Some thoughts on the shock challenge...
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:32:12 +0200
I can't believe I'm saying this, but perhaps Stock should look to SM for
guidence.  We in SM had a rulemaking challenge that we dealt with and I think
we did it quite well.  It made the current discussion on shocks seem very
small, as it went on for months.  It was important though.

The part was K-Members.  One side said that they are a common mod, they are
cheap, they bolt on, and are therefore not part of the chassis, and that if we
don't allow them, then Mustangs won't run in the class.  The other side said
that they are part of the chassis, and if we open them up then we will have
suspension developement budgets that would make mod class drivers cringe.

So the challenge went out - Write a rule that allows Mustangs to run the $300
K-Members without allowing Civics to develop and run F1 Suspensions.  Rules
were suggested, but we were always able to poke a hole in them.  After months
of trying to make it workable, everyone was pretty satisfied that such a rule
was impossible.  In the end, K-Members were not allowed in SM.

I think the way we came to this worked well.  I would suggest stock try to
emulate the process.  Start by defining what the goals are.  If you can't
agree on this, then any rule making from there forth will be misguided.  Then
everyone, do your darndest to write a rule that allows the wants and disallows
the don't wants.  Post them to these lists, and don't get upset when someone
finds a loophole.  In the end, you may come up with a better rule.  You may
not.  You may decide that the SEB already has it the best it can be.  I dunno.
I'm just suggesting that without a plan of attack, then it is all just petty
bitching that "my opinion is best".

If you do come up with a better rule, I'm sure the SEB would appreciate it.
I've never known anyone to pass up on an offer to make their job easier.

My $.02,
Dave Hardy
89 SM