Area 3/SEDiv Solo2 Meeting Notes

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com (Evolution Discussion),
Subject: Area 3/SEDiv Solo2 Meeting Notes
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:05:06 EST
Dear SEDiv Solo2 Competitors:

Just a *few* notes from this past weekend's annual Area 3 Meeting & Awards
Banquet:
---------------------------------------
Evolution Performance Driving School will be returning as the primary sponsor
of the 2002 SEDiv Solo2 Championship Series.  Look for an Evolution School
coming to an event site near you.  Evolution has an extensive schedule
planned for 2002 and is renowned for gracing the credentials of most
national-level Solo2 competitors.  Many thanks to Jean Kinser and Evolution
for contributing something special back to our community.
Special thanks to Kumho Tires for sponsoring the first-ever Kumho-Evolution
Team Challenge concept event, which was held in conjunction with our SEDiv
Solo2 event at Perry, GA this past August.  Twelve teams consisting of 4
members each competed for a total cash prize of $3,140, of which all teams
received a payout and eight teams received a payout exceeding their entry
fee.  How's that for a win-win situation?  Again, Kumho Tires is another fine
example of a company that shows appreciation for our tire business by giving
back to the community.
---------------------------------------
The 2001 SEDiv Solo2 Region of Year is the Middle Georgia Region.  The MGR
members have repeatedly demonstrated both unselfish desire and immeasurable
enthusiasm to support the SEDiv Solo2 Series in every capacity possible.  It
is only fitting that the Middle Georgia Region receive this honored
distinction for having served our divisional Solo2 community so well.
--------------------------------------
We currently have one SEDiv Solo2 Series event penned in for 2002.  We're
still working on scheduling two more events to host a best 2 of 3 series.
There are a number of possible sites available and this looks to be a very
good year to complete a full event schedule.  The current schedule is as
follows:

April 26 - 27       Dogwood Gran Prix/East TN Region              Knoxville,
TN
TBD                  TBD
      Florida
August              TBD (Perry Motorfest/Mid-GA Region?)          GA

Please note that the Dogwood event will not be run on the street circuit this
year due to some road construction detours.  The City of Knoxville has
instead made a large asphalt lot at the city zoo available for our use for
the weekend.  Mark your calendars, this will be a good event to be run in
conjunction with the Dogwood City Festival's weekend activities.  Bring the
whole family along, they should find plenty of sights and sounds available at
the city festival.
---------------------------------------
Karl Rickert is working on a new SEDiv Solo2 website.  We will advise you
where to point your browsers as soon as the new site is up and running.
---------------------------------------
I have a number of SEDiv Solo2 trophy name plates for the 2001 events and
will be mailing these out to the proper recipients soon.
---------------------------------------
Several new Regional Solo2 Chairs this year, obviously these folks have no
idea what they're getting into :-):

Barry Saney, Atlanta Region Solo2 Chair
Karl Rickert, Buccaneer Region/Jacksonville Solo2 Chair
---------------------------------------
The SCCA Solo2 insurance fee increased for 2002, from $2/car to $3/car.  The
sanction fee is unchanged for 2002.  The insurance fee increase will be
absorbed into the current SEDiv Solo2 entry fee of $50/driver with no
additional charge to competitors.
---------------------------------------
The first two SCCA National Solo events for 2002 will occur at Buckingham
Field in Fort Myers, FL and is hosted by the independent club; GulfCoast
Autocrossers Ltd.  Additionally, there is a local practice/event that month
as well, making the site available for autocrossing three weekends in a row.
The GCAC folks put on a good show, plus they break out the grill at noon and
provide lunch for everyone.  Please be advised that a sound restriction of 94
dB has been imposed for this site.  Put these Buckingham/Fort Myers dates
down on your schedule:

Feb. 9 - 10   Saturday practice/Sunday local GCAC event
Feb. 15-17   SCCA National Pro Solo2 season opener
Feb. 22-24   SCCA National Solo2 Tour season opener
---------------------------------------
Delivery of the 2002 SCCA National Solo rulebook is running behind schedule.
The printer should have them ready for distribution within the next week or
two.
---------------------------------------
That's all my feeble mind can remember for now ... oh yeah, yours truly will
again be the SEDiv Solo2 Steward for the 2002 season.  I would like to extend
a warm thanks to the following folks for their role in keeping the SEDiv
Solo2 Championship Series alive and kicking.  They deserve all the credit,
I'm just around to answer the phones and take the blame for anything that's
not quite right:

The Tennessee Region; hosted the Murfreesboro, TN event.
Dale Lambert; Tennessee Region event chairperson
The Atlanta & Mid-Georgia Regions; co-hosted the Perry, GA event
Mark Odom; Mid-GA Region event co-chairperson
Ben Thatcher, Atlanta Region event co-chairperson
Karl Rickert; SEDiv Solo2 Registration Chief
Rick Cone; SEDiv Solo2 Timing & Scoring Chief
Mark Chiles & Brenda Ashburn; SEDiv Solo2 Series mentors (heavy moral
support)

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all at the events this year,

Mark Sipe
SEDiv Solo2 Steward