Re: Changing Mazda computer in ASP RX-7

To: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing Mazda computer in ASP RX-7
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:48:44 GMT
>Is it legal to change out the factory computer to an
>aftermarket to run the fuel injection in ASP?

Yes, PROVIDED the computer does nothing to control the supercharging system.
 I assume that the car you describe here has a factory turbo-supercharging
setup.
 Anything that affects the control of the turbo would be illegal in Street
Prepared.

>So if someone put an Appexi Computer Stand alone fuel
>computer inplace of the stock fuel computer, is this
>legal for ASP.

Dunno.  Does this computer help run the turbo?

In cars which do not have superchargine systems ("normally-aspirated") computers
are clearly unrestricted.  In turbo-cars, things are not that simple.

>If I change the fuel injectors does this throw me out
>of ASP?

No.  Any fuel injection or carbs  are legal in Street Prepared

>Asking for someone who would like to know.

Assuming this person is interested in running Solo2 events, a rule book is a
good investment.  I don't mean that to be snide, just to point out there is
a lot in the book, and interpretations of the book are what will count if there
is a protest.

Phil (weigh my opinion with those of others) Ethier