North to Madison, how to avoid Chicago?

Subject: North to Madison, how to avoid Chicago?
From: "matthew c. mead" <mmead-autox@goof.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:18:54 -0400
Last time I drove to Madison (and back), we hit terrible Chicago
traffic both directions.  Time of day didn't seem to matter.

It's 50 miles longer to go further West of Indianapolis to I-39
and take it North to I-90 at Rockford.

Has anyone on the list done this to avoid Chicago traffic?  Will
it pay off?  It seems like even if it's smooth sailing, the extra
45 minutes will be worth all the wear and tear on clutches and
wondering if the poor Miata will pull its trailer through
bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Thanks for any help!

-matt

--