Problems in an Impreza 2.5 RS

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems in an Impreza 2.5 RS
From: ThoughtBoxLabs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 21:14:17 EDT
Hello,

My friend has a '01 Impreza 2.5 RS which has a few upgrades.  Intake,
exhaust, A'pexi SAFC, rear sway bar, and a strut tower brace.  He ordered
some Cobb Tuning performance camshafts and we installed them yesterday.  We
followed the instructions they provided, made sure the timing was correct,
adjusted the valves (I think we may have done a poor job on this), poured the
oil back in and started her up.  Idle was rougher than stock (as we
expected), but now the car has no power and stalls under load.  The exhaust
got progressively louder, the valves did also, RPMs gradually fall in any
gear until the engine stops.  The camshafts were broken in following the
instructions (2000 rpm for 15 minutes) and then the car was driven about two
miles before it stalled.  Do these symptoms give anyone on the list any idea
as to what may have happened?  We think the manually adjustable valves may
have slipped (not tightened enough).. is this possible?  Permanant engine
damage does not seem likely.  It's now been towed to a garage for service.

Will