Re: Whose thermometer is bigger? (was: 2002 Evo SEDiv...)

To: mshields@mac.com, stevehh@hiwaay.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whose thermometer is bigger? (was: 2002 Evo SEDiv...)
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:45:58 -0500
>PS: We had an event here in SLC this summer where the official recorded
>temp at the airport was 107. "But at least it's a dry heat!!"

I don't consider "But at least it's a dry heat!!" to be a joke.

I was at an event in Waco two years ago where it was 107.  It was a dry heat.
 My gracious hosts provided lots of drinking water and that was all I needed.
 To this Minnesota boy, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" is true.

And yes, I know that in that part of Texas is is not unusual to have the wind
come from the other direction and have disgusting humidity with the heat.

The dewpoint is way more important to me than the temperature.  I'd rather spend
the car on the lot at a really dry 107 than up here in Minnesota at 90 with
a dewpoint of 75.  Having experenced both, this is not idle theory.  I really
don't enjoy being soaked with massive quantities of sweat, and I don't suppose
the people around me enjoy it much, either.

We had a near-record dewpoint of 80 degrees here a few weeks back and I nearly
died.

This year we have had more hot, humid days than usual, but we have also had
some glorious with dewpoints in the mid-fifties.

Now, my CAR might not like the higher temperatures, regardless of the dewpoint.
 Modern fuels like to vapor-lock in old cars, for instance.  But *my* lack of
comfort on hot days is linked directly to the dewpoint, not the temperature.

Phil Ethier