Thanks for the help with the Saturn

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks for the help with the Saturn
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:44:17 -0400
Thanks to all the Team.Netters who posted suggestions concerning the noises
eminating from my daughter's Saturn.  I ended up having to replace the
timing chain assembly. The tensioner was shot and the guides were very worn.
Daughter had managed to hard sludge the inside of the engine as well. It
looked for all the world like a mid 1960's small block Chevy V/8 run on
Quaker State oil without regular changes. Yuck! Pooie!

I liked how Saturn has all the parts required available in one box as a kit.
very convenient. I also put on an alternator, new V-belt, plugs and wires.

When I got it started, it was still making hellacious noises that were
definitely coming from the automatic transmission. The owner of a very
respected tranny shop here in Pittsburgh gave me these three guesses:

1. A bolt holding the torque convertor to the flex plate is loose.
2. The flex plate has a crack in it.
3. A bolt holding the flex plate to the crankshaft is loose.

The Saturn dealership didn't have a clue.

I crawled underneath to see if I could do some snooping. This really is one
of those "Don't Attempt This At Home" cars.  I wouldn't dream of attacking
that tranny without a full garage lift.  So it looks like we are going to
have to have a transectomy in the near future.

Larry Steckel