Re: pontiac grandam - stranded

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pontiac grandam - stranded
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:31:06 -0400
At 09:55 AM 8/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
>A guy in our office had to leave his '99 V6 grandam in a small town last
>night when the alternator went out. We're gonig to go replace it tonight.
>Any suggestions about what tools to take? Any other tips are appriciated.
>
>thanks,

Personally, I'd just take a fresh battery if you can borrow one from
another car.  The car will run for quite a ways with a topped off battery
and no alternator.  Get it to someplace more comfortable to do the
work.  This is how we did it with the '58 Ford when the generator quit
(actually, we ran without a generator for a VERY long time, just charging
the battery in the evenings).  I've done the same with an MGB and with a
Grand Prix when the alternator quit.

Good luck,

Paul Parkanzky
Michigan State University