Re: pontiac grandam - stranded

To: parkanz1@msu.edu
Subject: Re: pontiac grandam - stranded
From: dkyeung@juno.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:58:43 GMT
Actually, I can see that working well for older cars, but modern cars use alot
more power so it depends on how far you try to go. I did what Paul is
suggesting when the alternator went out on my 89 Pontiac many years ago. I got
about 1 hour/55 miles and then ran out of juice after an overnite top off
charge. between the FI, the hi output ignition and on-board computer, running
on battery power is very temporary and also very hard on the battery. I recall
my battery quit a few months after that episode but that may have been
coincidence. Recently, the alternator again failed, this time the nite before
an autox. I could have tried to top off the battery and run the car the next
day but going with what I already knew, I chose to leave it in the garage. of
course, YMMV.
Dave Yeung
Houston Region