Passengers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Passengers
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:22:40 -0400
Until this year, North Hills Sports Car Club provided for experienced
drivers to ride with novices during timed runs.  Of course this allowance
was abused.  We found too many cases of the same experienced drivers out on
course as a passenger with another experienced driver.

The kicker was the case of a newer competitor who put a helmet on his buddy
and had him ride with him. The passenger was a spectator, he hadn't signed
the waiver or entered the event.

We discussed the issue and realized that the Starter didn't have time to
catch all of these infractions, and besides, it isn't his job to act as a
cop. There is no way with 130 cars that a Starter can keep track of who is a
novice and who isn't. And there is the question of liability in case of an
accident.  So..we amended our Rules and Policies and completely eliminated
passengers on timed runs. No exceptions.

Larry Steckel