Re: Questions re: Solo 2 Nats

To: "Danny Castillo" <dcastillo@axxion.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions re: Solo 2 Nats
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:25:23 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny Castillo" <dcastillo@axxion.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 2:42 PM
Subject: Questions re: Solo 2 Nats

> Questions from a newbie!
>
> When does everything get started on Monday?  When should we arrive?

You could actually arrive Saturday or Sunday if you wanted. Registration is
9-11:30/1-4 Sat-Sun, and opens at 8 am on Monday.

> Should we setup our "pits" first?

First go to registration, which is outside the event gate in the adjacent
office building (just to the south of the gate). Bring your rulebook for
show 'n tell [I've been saying for years that shoudl be a Tech item, not
registration]. Then you go into the site, stop at the Paddock Police, and
get your paddock spot. Then go to tech.

> Are there any maps available of the event site?

You'll get an information booklet at registration. It has site map, course
maps, entry list, supp regs, event schedule, party schedule, yada yada.

> Can we park trailers with our cars?

Yes. But there is also a separate trailer park if you have too much stuff to
cram into your allotted space. I have a race car, a tow van, and we also
bring our daily driver for this one, and that just about fits, so the
trailer goes off to the trailer park.

> Other than race car and tires...any tips on what to bring?

Oh, where to begin! LOL

Basically, you pack a "hot bag" and a "cold bag." Plan for both extremes of
weather. It can be 40 degrees or 90 (and it can be 40 for Heat 1 and 90 for
Heat 4). It can be sunny all week or the Second Flood. Just because it is
bright and sunny when you leave home doesn't mean the weather can't turn,
and fast, before the week in Topeka is out, so bring the jacket you haven't
worn since March -- maybe not the parka but more than the light windbreaker.
Your regular autocross wear for daytime. Something nicer for evening (polo
instead of tee, dockers instead of jeans, etc -- but some people still wear
jeans and tees to the banquets so its not like you'd be a social outcast).

Bring ALL your tools and all your spares (within reason, the spare engine
may not be possible).

Bring sunscreen. YES!

Comfortable shoes for those dozens of coursewalks.

Fill up the checkbook, empty the credit card accounts. Things to buy range
from tees, hats and jackets to tires, shocks and racer tape.

Bring an attitude that anything may happen, and not the way you expect, but
it will be good and fun anyway. And your first priority is to have a good
time. If you also happen to drive well, that's nice too. You've got six
minutes of driving and a week partying with 1000 of your closest friends.

> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Danny Castillo
> #53 SS Corvette
> El Paso, Texas