Re: FSP Protest (long)

To: "Tommy Regan" <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FSP Protest (long)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:46:52 -0500
No, Tommy, the DQ was for both of you. And according to the posted copy of
the protest form, only on the head question and that mostly for the lack of
documentation as you outlined below (the other items were "withdrawn or
reprimand only"). Wednesday night they gave out all the FSP awards with the
guy originally 12th getting 10th, etc.

I find Tommy's recitation below very refreshing. No recriminations, no
poor-mouthing, just an acknowledgement of a "gotcha" situation and a desire
on the part of the protestees not to drag things out, and thus was of
benefit to the rest of the class. It might be noted, they were 2-3 on the
original results, and the protestor was neither the winner nor the guy
originally in 4th, but a fellow lower down who was in the trophies either
way.

On another FSP item, it was fun seeing my friend Takahisa Aono win the
class. Taka came to the US several years ago from Nagano, Japan, to study at
a college in Omaha, Neb. (I forget which) and discovered autocrossing there.
He started out with a Karmann Ghia running in EP that could hardly get out
of its own way, and was DFL at his first Nationals in 1994. After he
finished school, he moved to California and apparently fell under the
influence of some pretty good drivers there. His last previous Nationals was
1998 (19th in AS with an MR2) before he left Nebraska. I thought he might
have been the first foreign-born (other than Canadian) to win, but found out
that note apparently goes to Kyung An (now Wootton) who was born in Korea
but came to the US as an infant.

--Rocky Entriken

(permission to forward to the Evo list if anyone feels the need)