First Autocross

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: First Autocross
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:45:42 -0500
After watching the Trans-AM and the USRRC cars race at Laguna Seca, and
attending 30 or 40 gimmick rallies in the SF Bay Area, and 15 to 20 Fremont
drag strip grudge nights, I heard about the Mustang club holding some type of
racing (It was an autocross/slalom) at the Milpitas Ford Plant. This is circa
May 1967. I pulled the hubcaps off my 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible and
entered the event. I ran and ran. Mid day the rain started, I put up the top
and ran some more. Most of the Mustang guys parked their cars and hung out
under the trees, watching. I kept running. After about a half hour of running
over and over pretty much by myself, they called the event and we tore down the
course. I ran the first Pro-Solo event at the same lot many years later, also
in a Corvair. My drag strip background and the Corvair's traction always got me
to the end of the strip first, the No-tech TAs always got me beat on the way
back. But it was fun. - Seth Emerson