First autocross

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: First autocross
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:11:02 -0500
Well, lets see.

The first autocross that I "drove" was in the late fall of 1973 with the
North Hills Sports Car Club, at the North Park Swimming Pool in Pittsburgh.
I drove my rusty 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster. I remember that I had snow tires
on the back.

However, I had been a member of the Penn State Sports Car Club during the
1968-1970 period. I did TSD rallyes, but couldn't autocross because my 1963
Chevy Nova didn't have seat belts, and I was too poor to buy a set.

I remember I worked an event at Parking Lot 80, probably January or February
1970. It snowed something like six inches over Saturday night. (considered a
flurry in Happy Valley). The event chair decided to run the event. We
scraped away enough snow to mark the cones and let the group have at it.  It
was a wonderful low speed ballet.

I also remember someone autocrossing a Renault 2-CV there, bouncing the
lower fender edge off the pavement as he cornered. Once a 1956 Chevy dirt
track car with a huge wing sticking out of the rear window area ran. Not
fast, but spectacular. Tom Bagley (who later ran at Indianapolis)and his
wife Sally competed there all the time. A guy named Gary Portnoy (Yes his
car was called Portnoy's Complaint) had a Valiant station wagon with a slant
six fitted with a blow through turbo set up. He got that stuck in the swamp
out at Nelson Ledges one time. And of course a guy named Logan Hill who
dropped a small block Chevy V/8 into the back seat of his 1966 Corvair.  Boy
there were a lot of different cars that raced there. I wonder if I still
have the photos I took of some of them?

Larry Steckel