Oil Change Intervals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Change Intervals
From: Pete Holsberg <pjh@mccc.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:04:26 -0500 (EST)
This has nothing to do with autocrossing but I thought that
since there is such accumulated wisdom here, I would try to
tap in.

Acura specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals for normal
driving in my 2002 RSX-S. Can they be serious? Is oil that
good these days?

And, they don't change the oil filter at the first service,
either! Can a filter be effective for 20,000 miles?

What are they trying to prove?

My driving fits their definition of normal -- no short
trips; no stop and go; no towing; etc. Originally, I wasn't
concerned. But now, I am.

Of course, the dealer recommends 5,000 mile intervals, and
charges an arm and a leg for it (change oil, rotate tires
-- $100.00!!).

Thanks.