Re: Autocross history?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross history?
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 00:25:06 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>

> Don't know but it atleast dates back to the post WWII era. General Lamay
> of the US Air Force used to encourage his pilots to do it to keep their
> reflexes sharp.

Say what?  That's a version I haven't heard.  General LeMay was certainly a
sports car buff, and offered up several SAC bases for the SCCA to run road
races the early '50s.  (Unfortunately, Congress stopped that after a couple
of years, much to the detriment of base MWR funds.)  IIRC, he had an Allard
that he had another driver run -- the Air Force frowned upon general
officers risking their necks in race cars.  Never heard of a connection with
autocross before, though.  Of course, my tenure in SAC was well after LeMay
retired.... :)

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing