RE: Autocross history?

To: "'Team.Net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Autocross history?
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 00:08:28 -0600
<<
Say what?  That's a version I haven't heard.  General LeMay was
certainly a sports car buff, and offered up several SAC bases for the
SCCA to run road races the early '50s.  (Unfortunately, Congress stopped
that after a couple of years, much to the detriment of base MWR funds.)
IIRC, he had an Allard that he had another driver run -- the Air Force
frowned upon general officers risking their necks in race cars.  Never
heard of a connection with autocross before, though.  Of course, my
tenure in SAC was well after LeMay retired.... :)

Somethings are so weird .... Actually it's true enough that Nebraska
Region can get on the base to hold events because the higher-ups think
it's true. I heard the story from a general officer that wasn't an SCCA
member.

The nebraska region archivist & RE actually has some of those early
entry forms, and yes there were road races too. (5500 foot long
straights & three mile courses! We've got some of the old track maps if
you're intested.)

To this day all we do to get on the base is have someone stationed there
sponsor the event and then pay an Offut charity 10% of the gate.

It is a pretty nice lot. 60 - 70 seconds runs.