Re: [evolution-disc.] 2003 Solo Contingency?

To: Evolution <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] 2003 Solo Contingency?
From: James Rogerson <jrogerson@Houston.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:37:11 -0600
Well, I handed my tire rack contingency coupon over to Jim Hedderick
today.  After all he is the car owner.  8^)

I was home by 2:30 PM today from the Precision event.  I'm dropping the
P.R.O. and going with just Precision to make a clear distinction from the
other "Pro".  This weekend was absolutely one of the best events I've ever
done in Autocross.  Love the format, never really cared about Index before,
but now I have a good idea of what it's like to run against some really
good talent in all kinds of classes and cars all day long.  You really have
to pay attention to what everyone is doing.  And in doing so, I got to
really get acquainted on race day with all those other participants as
fellow competitors.  The two runs, back to back is really cool.  I miss
read the rules and didn't try too hard to "win" my class in the first six
runs.  All I wanted to do was make the top 10, and that's what I aimed
at.  It cost me first in class.  I was .4 back of first (with a cone), so
if I'd just tried to run a good one on my second run, then I'd have a neat
little trophy to go along with the bragging rights of making the top ten
and perhaps more Tirerack winnings for the car owner.  But no, I went for
all the marbles and got off line in the rain because I knew I had made the
top 25, but not the top 10, which was my target from the beginning.  I'll
know better next time.

We made a couple of tactical errors because we didn't really understand how
the scoring worked.  Next weekend I'll try to make sure I win the class and
the overall position.  Hopefully, I'll have two paydays in one month to
hand over to Jim.  We are looking at the calendar and schedule to determine
just where we'll travel to outside of Houston to participate in another
Precision event.  I had the most fun and competition energy today than I've
had in many years.

If you haven't added a Precision event to your calendar, you're going to
miss one of the best AX experiences available.  It's way different from
what we've been running, yet the same.  Back to back hot tire runs with the
course fresh in your mind with the overall index laying in background to
push you to go absolutely as fast as possible make for some interesting
emotions as you (well I) get that 1/4" off line and clip a cone just enough
to knock it slightly out of the box but not down.  Then know that you can
make a blistering run, just move over that 1/4" next time.  OK, they're
motioning you up to the start line, let's go do it.  Man was I pumped.

I even liked the rain day and today it was freezing (OK it was freezing to
us locals) cold.

Man I can't wait until next weekend.  Doug Wille just called and said, "I
getting you in four days, be there."  That goes for everyone out in netland.

James Rogerson
FP owner turned Boxster lover.  Wait, my daily driver is a '70 914/6.