A Shocking Question (Koni)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A Shocking Question (Koni)
From: Loren Williams <Loren@invisiblesun.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:56:21 -0700
I'm coming out of lurking for a moment.  My right front shock is blown, trying
to decide between replacing a pair of front Koni Sports with a new set ($220 +
shipping) or having my old shocks rebuilt/revalved by Tri-Point (Minimum $270 +
shipping two-ways).  For my meager purposes (daily driving and frequent, but
casual autocrossing), is the expense of a custom revalve worth it?  Would I be
better off buying a new set and getting the factory warranty? (I don't have the
warranty now because I'm not the original purchaser)

Also, if anyone knows, what are the perch adjustments on the new Koni Sports
for an early Miata?  The ones I have now have 5 grooves, 5mm apart.  I believe
I've read that the new ones have 3. (doesn't matter much to me, I'll be using
the top perch, just curious)  Are there any other differences between my 7 year
old Koni Sports and the new ones?

Here are the details:

1996 Miata R (Torsen and manual rack are all that remain of the package)

Flyin' Miata springs (342f/228r, about 2" lower than factory)

Koni Sport shocks (older version) set on top perch height.  May reinstall
with 1/4" spacers in front to gain a touch more ride height and reduce rake.
(front is 1" lower than rear)

Swaybars 25mm front/12mm rear.

11.8 lb 15x6.5" wheels.  Standard 195/50-15 tires. (may fit 205's)

Car weighs about 2230, driver weighs 175.

Car is daily driven and autocrossed regularly.  Have been happily running
under all conditions with the Konis set at 1/2 turn rear and 3/4 turn front
for 2 years.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@InvisibleSun.org