MRIU Update

To: autox@autox.team.net, spokes@spokes.org,
Subject: MRIU Update
From: Streldoc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:47:30 EDT
Quick update as we are going kayaking in a few minutes.  Today was practice
with 2 runs in 2 cars that are not going to be run, untimed.  And then one
practice run in one of 4 cars that would be used in the Sunday competition.
Unofficial time had Mike King fastest, with Salerno, Braun, myself and Brollier
in
the lead.  Daddio ran toward the end and the car was shifting into drive so
was off the pace.  The afternoon had a competition with groups of 5 drivers and
a pro doing a relay on the course in RX-8's.  Those results are not up, but
ask Gary Thomason (one of the Pro's) about the syncro's in 2nd gear, as well as
counting to 6 instead of 5...obviously more to that one.  The final had all of
us taking 2 runs in one of 2 RX-8's, to try to beat the Pro, Jason Hart who
set the dial-in.  Daddio beat the pro and will get to set the dial-in next year
at his home city, which I think he has 4 to choose from. :-)  Matthew Braun
was second and I think might have tied the Pro, and I want to put special note,
that he did it in the sunroof car that I drove, which was not as good
handling as the non-sunroof car that we all ran in the relay.  Let alone giving
Karter and I stiff necks from being cocked to the side the whole run.  Anyway,
the
Mazda people are really doing a great job and everyone is having fun, and
tomorrow it gets serious.  We all will be doing 2 runs in each of the 4 cars
with
elimination going from 20 - 10 -3 - 1.  So the top three will get 24 runs.

Erik