Re: 17's on a WRX

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 17's on a WRX
From: IMP <imprez99@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
17's are not port installed per SOA.

However, I don't know if the customer service people
know the full jist of them and where they are
installed....

Response to 1st e-mail:
Dear Keith:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for
your interest in Subaru products! We appreciate you
taking the time to contact us.

Our 2004 WRX models are equipped with 16 inch X 6.5
inch aluminum-alloy wheels from the manufacturer. Is
it possible that the vehicle you see roll off the
delivery truck is a 2004 WRX STi model? This model is
equipped with 17 inch X 7.5 inch BBS aluminum alloy
wheels in gold or gun metal gray. In your region of
the U.S., Subaru vehicles are sold through independent
distributors, and they may install additional
equipment at the port or at the dealer. All equipment
from the factory is detailed on the Monroney label.

I hope this information is helpful to you, but should
you have further questions, please let me know and
I'll do my best to assist you further.

Best Wishes,

Natalie Cox
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer Dealer Services
E-Contact

Response to 2nd e-mail:

------------------------
Thank you for your message.  No, neither of the 17
inch wheel options for the WRX models are factory
installed options.  Actually, they are not even dealer
installed options.  This is because we do not offer
tires for the optional 17 inch wheels for the WRX
models.  Therefore, it would not be possible to
deliver a WRX from the factory with the 17 inch
wheels, as we would not deliver a vehicle without
wheels.  If you were to purchase the 17 inch wheels,
you would end up with the OEM 16 inch wheels and tires
and the optional 17 inch wheels.  Of course, you could
speak with your dealer to see if they would want to
purchase the 16 inch wheels and tires from you.
That would have to be their decision.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you
need any future
assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

I would liek to get a straight answer from someone.

In my personal opinion, since the website lists them
as an accessory, and are on the Maroney Label, they
should be legal, just like the diff protector, boost
gauge, etc... already are and are in the rule book.
What is the difference?

I have seen cars delivered in New England pull off the
truck with 17s already on them... and when asked in
the dealership where the 16's are... "still at the
port." They're not included up here with the car if
you get 17s. This dealer is 2 blocks from my house.

We've been fighting this since the WRX came over here.
If they're on the Maroney label, aren't they legal?